The Rudd Family Foundation Chair
Haas Finance Group
PhD, Finance, UC Berkeley
MS, Finance, UC Berkeley
BA, Statistics, UC Berkeley
At Haas since 2001
2008 – present, The Rudd Family Foundation Chair
2006 – 2008, Willis H. Booth Chair in Banking and Finance
2005 – 2006, Professor, Haas School of Business
2003 – 2005, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2001 – 2003, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1997 – 2001, Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Management, UC Davis
- Behavioral finance
- Investor behavior
- Investor welfare
- Influence of individual investors on asset prices
- “Bubbling with Excitement: An Experiment” with Eduardo Andrade and Shengle Lin, Review of Finance, 2016, Vol. 20, 2, 447-466.
- “Overconfidence, Compensation Contracts, and Capital Budgeting” with Simon Gervais and J. B. Heaton, 2011, Journal of Finance, Vol, 66, 5, 1735-1777.
- “Just How Much Do Investors Lose from Trade?” with Brad Barber, Yi-Tsung Lee and Yu-Jane Liu, Review of Financial Studies, 2009, Vol. 22, 2, 609-632.
- “All that Glitters: The Effect of Attention and News on the Buying Behavior of Individual and Institutional Investors” with Brad Barber, Review of Financial Studies, 2008, Vol. 21, 2, 785-818.
- “Out of Sight, Out of Mind: The Effects of Expenses on Mutual Fund Flows” with Brad Barber and Lu Zheng, Journal of Business, 2005, Vol. 78, 2095-2119.
- “Boys will be Boys: Gender, Overconfidence, and Common Stock Investment” with Brad Barber, Quarterly Journal of Economics, February 2001, Vol. 116, No. 1, 261-292.
- “Learning to be Overconfident” with Simon Gervais, Review of Financial Studies, Spring 2001, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 1-27.
- “Trading is Hazardous to Your Wealth: The Common Stock Investment Performance of Individual Investors” with Brad Barber, Journal of Finance, Vol. LV, No. 2, April 2000, 773-806.
- “Volume, Volatility, Price, and Profit When All Traders Are Above Average,” Journal of Finance, Vol. LIII, No. 6, December 1998, 1887-1934.
- “Are Investors Reluctant to Realize Their Losses?”, Journal of Finance, Vol. LIII, No. 5, October 1998, 1775-1798.
James R. Vertin Award from CFA Institute
Carleton College Alumni Distinguished Achievement Award, 2012
- Barclays Global Investors Award for Best Conference Paper at European Finance Association Meetings, Moscow 2005
- Barclays Global Investment / Michael Brennan Prize for the Best Paper of the year (2001) in the Review of Financial Studies Graham and Dodd Award of Excellence, 2000
- National Science Foundation Career Grant National Science Foundation Research Grant (SES-0111470)
Roger F. Murray Prize (from the Institute for Quantitative Research in Page 2 9/16/16 Finance)
American Association of Individual Investors 1997
- Completed Dissertation Award
Nasdaq Foundation Dissertation Fellowship
University of California Regents Fellowship
Departmental Citation for outstanding undergraduate accomplishment in statistics
Phi Beta Kappa